12.29.2010

"...stockings were hung by the chimney with care..."




Last year I made a stocking for Andrew out of some extra fabric I had stashed away. I had intended on making one for myself as well, but I never had the time. So this year, instead of working on cleaning up the aftermath of Christmas projects, I spent a couple hours making myself a new stocking. Some of the materials in it are a little nostalgic to me. The green and teal fabric that makes up most of it came from an old chair that I found on the side of the road several years ago and begged my friends to carry home for me. I had grand ideas for refinishing it because the upholstery was practically torn to shreds, but after staring at it in my room for a long time I remembered that I knew nothing about upholstery and at some point it made it's way back out onto the curb...but only after I stripped all the vintage fabric from it. I had to stitch some bits and pieces of it together to make a piece big enough to use for the stocking. I love the character of it. I also added a bit of an old sweater that I decided wasn't fitting that well anymore and some pom pom trim from a wonky footstool I used to have. Clearly I am a collector and never give up any little bit of something or another that I think may come in handy someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment